Sunday, April 18, 2010

WHY FOLDING SKETCHBOOK?

15 Apr 10
A good question, indeed! Well, perhaps, let me say WHY folding sketchbook before I come to WHAT is skechbook.
I have been doing skethces on some small size books where ever I go for quite sometime now. It is most enjoyable while doing it on site but I also find looking through them later on just as enjoyable, if not more! However, it came to my realisation that those sketches seem to be just as meaningful to my fellow travelers who quickly associate my sketches with their own sentiments and experience of the trip. And that's when I feel that I would like to share my sketchbooks with friends and others who might have been to such places before, either on their own or with their friends.
Therefore, that's my WHY for a folding sketchbook. It is to share my sketches with friends and those who have been to places, in a form of a casual easy folded pages that's convenient to enjoy, you don't need to bother to read as a book and something more satisfying than a single postcard. The real WHY of folding sketchbook is that this sketchbook is intended to be like your own memorable experience folded into something light yet substantial that you carry with you in you shirt pocket, standing it up on your work desk or dressing table, any where!

Now, when the why is done, the WHAT shall be surprisingly easy. I am not going to make you read the following thousand or so words of explaination but rather showing you PICTUREs of my folding sketchbook instead. That's easy on you and more fun, I hope. Enjoy!!
Alright, first thing first, I wiil have my folding sketchbook lying down, if you don't mind, so you would have a better view of it!

More view of the folding sketchbook.

With some views of the folding sketchbook, I am certain you have a pretty good idea of what it is. In words, if you would allow, it is my most exciting undertaking next to doing sketches itself. I am putting the sketches I love the most in an attempt of sharing them with all. So that you too, could enjoy them since it will be impossible for me to part with my own original sketchbook. And I don't think making a BOOK of a skechbook make any sense to me, at least for now ;-) so, here it is, a folding sketchbook and the WHY and WHAT of it all!
Please, do let me have your thinking, your idea of traveling, meeting people, your reaction to places you've been to and how and what is your means of keeping and sharing those wonderful moments and memories. I would appreciate your feed back and opinion, please share with me.
I will be back in the next few days with further details of my first FOLDING SKETCHBOOK, see you then.

23 Apr 10
It would be an ideal display manner to have viewers experience what they are viewing, the sketchbooks. They should be able to hold, feel, flip and scrutinise all the marks and the mess left behind by the book's creator. That kind of experience might be achieved some where, in Tokyo or New York, but I just still could not imagine Bangkok!
However, my next attempt was something that I am putting in below:


But it may not be possible even that, at the end, it probably ended up some flat opened bookd pasted deadly on the wall, we'll see!

1 comment: